The Professional, Academic, and Work-Based Literacies SIG (PAWBL) is a Special Interest Group within the British Association for Applied Linguistics (BAAL), and it aims:
- To provide a forum for those researchers who are working on professional, academic, or work-based literacies or (as is increasingly the case) at the interface of two or more these dimensions.
- To develop and extend the network of scholars working within this area – both within the UK and transnationally – who are seeking to develop robust research methodologies using a range of concepts and methods from applied linguistics, sociolinguistics, literacy studies, anthropological linguistics, and linguistic ethnography
- To develop work in literacy studies providing opportunities to present new research as well as critically revisiting ‘classic’ studies and approaches
- To support new researchers who are developing applied linguistic research in the field of professional, academic, and work-based literacies
- To involve potential stakeholders and practitioners in debates arising from findings through involvement on the SIG’s events
- To develop and make available case studies and heuristics which stimulate the use of research findings by policy makers and practitioners.
Click here for details of the PAWBL committee
Click here to see the full PAWBL constitution.